Six Steps to Create Your Personal Definition of Success
OK, let’s evaluate.
Your goals are written. Check!
Your perfect day is on paper. Check!
You have a complete business plan. Check!
Your affirmations and gratitude lists are complete. Check!
Chances are you have done some or all of these exercises, but I’d be willing to bet very few have taken the time to create a personal definition of success.
Without a personal definition of success you would be like a ship sailing aimlessly without a destination not knowing where it was headed. How would you know you had arrived at success; if it were time to bask in the glow of your personal triumph, your personal success? That’s why a personal definition of success is so very important.
What is success to you?
No other person’s definition of success can possibly be the same as yours. It is as individual as are fingerprints, because no one is quite like you, no one shares the same passions. Sure, there are plenty of arbitrary criteria out there to attempt to measure your success by, but there is only one definition that is important – yours.
Not completely certain of the importance of having your own success definition? Then try this out. Visualize success as defined by someone else’s standard. Would you let someone else tell you what beautiful is? What art is? What level of income is considered successful? Of course not! Society attempts to show us what should be an ideal physical appearance, which car you should drive, where you should live, who you should emulate.
If you consider being part of the herd as being successful then read no further.
When you set your sights on achievement by someone else’s standard you lose your identity, you sacrifice your soul. Only you can say what success is for you.
Once you take the time to define your personal success definition, you’ll stop comparing yourself and your success to others. You’ll focus on your individual success, on the things that truly matter to you. Life becomes a lot more fun when you’re after your own dreams and not the dreams of others.
So, let’s take a peek at the elements of defining success to get your definition of success down pat.
Your Personal Definition of Success in 6 Steps
There are some obvious clues to what success is for you. Use everything that you’ve done so far as a personal exercise in the past. Go find your ideal day, affirmations, goals and written dreams. All of these are fuel to be used in this exercise.
1. As a general guideline the arenas of success might include the following:
Personal, Family, Relationships, Financial/Business, Spiritual
Each arena is to be evaluated in detail for what is working and what is not. Then determine what specifically success in each arena means to you.
2. Success must be defined in particular terms. The S.M.A.R.T. technique for setting goals can be applied to defining your success. Your personal definition of success must be:
Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely
3. Examine your life to see what blocks you? What needs to change in your life in order for you to feel your success?
4. Belief has a lot to do with success. As Henry Ford wisely stated, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t–you’re right.” You can if you believe you can. What do you believe about your success?
5. Make a plan and take daily action steps toward your success. Understand the Law of Attraction how “What you think about expands” affects your journey toward success.
6. Show gratitude every day that you are on your way to achieving one of life’s greatest satisfactions – achieving your personal definition of success.
One additional element of success must be considered. When one achieves any goal a door closes. Achievement demarcates the end of one objective and the beginning of another. You may choose to relax in the glow of your success for a while, but rest assured that a new definition of success will be necessary. The inevitable question “What’s next?” creeps restlessly into consciousness.
You see, it is a never ending cycle of creation, achievement and new creation. It is the way of the world, and I for one am grateful for it. Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook Share on Linkedin share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post Tell a friend Tags: affirmations, business plan, daily action, goals, gratitude list, keywords: definition of success, perfect day, success